Easter is right around the corner. The sun is shining and the breeze is blowing. Everything is blooming and the birds are chirping making it a beautiful atmosphere to welcome easter. Many may know it as Spring Break but in Belize, we call in Easter Break.
Events in Easter
Belize celebrates this time by having many events from parades to the annual Holy Saturday Cross Country Race. Easter is celebrated for four days starting on Friday and ending on Monday. Each day something special is happening, either a party, a church services, or a religious traditions.
With the majority of the country being Christians, many believe that they can’t go swimming or they’d turn into a mermaid. Nevertheless, a majority of the population would stay home with their families or go on a road trip. However, on this day Benque Viejo is preparing for their traditional re-enactment of the stations of the Cross. This town becomes beautiful as they decorate the streets with sawdust carpets. The carpets are created to greet the religious procession that happens on this day. The country respects this holiday by not selling any alcoholic beverage. This allows for a more peaceful day.
The big Cross Country Cycle Race happens on this day. Cyclists from all over the country come together to compete with each other for the big trophy. The race is 140 miles and starts from Belize City, goes all the way to San Ignacio and goes back to Belize City to end it off. People line up the sides of the highway just to see this race and support the cyclists. After this race, look around for the fairs and other events happening around you.
Churches all over the country are filled with people as they go to listen to the preaching of the sacrifice that Jesus did for us and how He rose. After the service, many families would come together to share meals and have a great time together. It is a relaxing day in this country.
The end of the long weekend. There are still a few activities here and there but in Burrel Boom, they celebrate it by having a Horse Race. Many Belizeans and even tourists come to this site to cheer on their favorite team, socialize with others and even enjoy a nice plate of Belizean cuisine while there.
There you have the major activities happening in Belize for the Easter weekend. If none of those interest you and you’re just looking for a place to stay or to enjoy the sea then many options are still available for you. Such as swimming at the famous Split on Caye Caulker. It is known as Caye Caulker’s best swimming area.
Here is a short list of the places you can stay while in Belize:
- Chabil Mar – On the Placencia Peninsula. A great place for the whole family to enjoy a beach vacation.
- Hidden Valley Inn– In Cayo District. A beautiful resort surrounded by a diverse landscape. The perfect getaway spot.
- Sunbreeze hotel– In San Pedro, Ambergris Caye. Another unique hotel close to the beach with a beautiful view.
- Las Terrazas Resort– In San Pedro, Ambergris Caye. Luxurious suites, sea houses, 70- foot infinity pool, soothing massage, everything you need can be found here.
- Best western plus Belize Biltmore Plaza – 3.5 miles on the Phillip Goldson Highway. Provides the comfortable rooms and a bar area, considered to be your “home away from home”.
- Harbour View Cottages– In Belize city. Enjoy the view of the harbor anytime during the day.
Similar Article: The Secret to Vacationing in the Tropics